O'Connell Street (Irish: Sráid Uí Chonaill) is a street in the centre of Dublin, running north of the River Liffey. It is 49 m (54 yds) wide at its southern end, 46 m (50 yds) at the north, and is 500 m (547 yds) long. During the 17th century, it was a narrow street known as Drogheda Street, named after Henry Moore, Earl of Drogheda. It was widened in the late 18th century by the Wide Streets Commission and renamed Sackville Street (Sráid Saicfil) after Lionel Sackville, 1st Duke of Dorset. In 1924, it was renamed in honour of Daniel O'Connell, a nationalist leader of the early 19th century, whose statue stands at the lower end of the street, facing O'Connell Bridge. The street has played an important part in Irish history, attracting the city's most prominent monuments and public art through the centuries, and formed the backdrop to one of the 1913 Dublin Lockout gatherings, the 1916 Easter Rising, the Irish Civil War of 1922, the destruction of the Nelson Pillar in 1966, the Dublin Riots in 2006, and many public celebrations, protests and demonstrations. In the late 20th century, a comprehensive plan was began to restore the street back to its original 19th century character.