Where do you want to visit in Kyiv

    • SIGHTSEEING (19)

    • Golden Gate

      The Golden Gate of Kyiv (Ukrainian: Золоті ворота, Zoloti vorota) was the main gate in the 11th century fortifications of Kyiv, the capital of Kyivan Rus'. It was named in imitation of the Golden Gate of Constantinople. The structure was dismantled in the Middle Ages, leaving few vestiges of its existence. It was rebuilt completely by the Soviet authorities in 1982, though no images of the original gates have survived. The decision has been immensely controversial because there were many competing reconstructions of what the original gate might have looked like.The rebuilt structure on the corner of Volodymyr street and Yaroslaviv Val Street contains a branch of the National Sanctuary "Sophia of Kyiv" museum. The name Zoloti Vorota is also used for a nearby theater and the Zoloti Vorota station of the Kyiv Metro.

      Time on site: an hour
    • St. Sophia's Cathedral

      Saint Sophia Cathedral in Kyiv is an outstanding architectural monument of Kyivan Rus. The cathedral is one of the city's best known landmarks and the first heritage site in Ukraine to be inscribed on the World Heritage List along with the Kyiv Cave Monastery complex. Aside from its main building, the cathedral includes an ensemble of supporting structures such as a bell tower and the House of Metropolitan. In 2011 the historic site was reassigned from the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Regional Development of Ukraine to the Ministry of Culture of Ukraine. One of the reasons for the move was that both Saint Sophia Cathedral and Kyiv Pechersk Lavra are recognized by the UNESCO World Heritage Program as one complex, while in Ukraine the two were governed by different government entities. In Ukrainian the cathedral is known as Sobor Sviatoyi Sofiyi (Собор Святої Софії) or Sofiyskyi sobor (Софійський собор). The complex of the cathedral is the main component and museum of the National Sanctuary "Sophia of Kyiv" which is the state institution responsible for the preservation of the cathedral complex as well as four other historic landmarks across the nation.

      Time on site: an hour
    • St. Michael's Golden-Domed Monastery

      St. Michael's Golden-Domed Monastery (Ukrainian: Михайлівський золотоверхий монастир, Mykhaylivs’kyi zolotoverkhyi monastyr) is a functioning monastery in Kyiv, the capital of Ukraine. The monastery is located on the right bank of the Dnieper River on the edge of a bluff northeast of the Saint Sophia Cathedral. The site is located in the historic administrative Uppertown and overlooks the city's historical commercial and merchant quarter, the Podil neighbourhood. Originally built in the Middle Ages by Sviatopolk II Iziaslavych, the monastery comprises the Cathedral itself, the Refectory of St. John the Divine, built in 1713, the Economic Gates, constructed in 1760 and the monastery's bell tower, which was added c. 1716–1719. The exterior of the structure was rebuilt in the Ukrainian Baroque style in the 18th century while the interior remained in its original Byzantine style. The original cathedral was demolished by the Soviet authorities in the 1930s, but was reconstructed and opened in 1999 following Ukrainian independence in 1991.

      Time on site: an hour
    • St. Andrew's Church

      St. Andrew's Church (Ukrainian: Андріївська церква, Andriyivs'ka tserkva) is a major Baroque church located in Kyiv, the capital of Ukraine. The church was constructed between 1747 and 1754, to a design by the Italian architect Bartolomeo Rastrelli. It is sometimes referred to as a cathedral. The church is part of the National Sanctuary "Sophia of Kyiv" as a landmark of cultural heritage. The church has no bells, as according to legend, their noise would cause flooding of the left part of the city.St Andrew's Church overlooks the historic Podil neighborhood, situated on a steep hill to which the church gave its current name—Andriyivska Hill. It is currently one of four architectural landmarks of Ukraine, which were put down on the List of Mankind Treasures of Five Continents by the world society.As the church sits atop a hill, foundation problems have been one of the main concerns of preservationists. More recently, the foundation below the church has started to shift, causing some concerns that the church's foundation might collapse. Cracks have already appeared in the foundation, and some of the church's falling decor has been found in neighboring areas.

      Time on site: an hour
    • Andriivs'kyi descent

      Andriyivskyy Descent (Ukrainian: Андріївський узвіз, Andriyivs’kyi uzviz, literally: Andrew's Descent) is a historic descent connecting Kyiv's Upper Town neighborhood and the historically commercial Podil neighborhood. The street, often advertised by tour guides and operators as the "Montmartre of Kyiv", is a major tourist attraction of the city. It is included in the list of national landmarks by the government resolution. In addition, the street is also part of the Kyiv city historic reserve "Ancient Kyiv", while the St.Andrew's Church belongs to the National historic reserve "Sophia of Kyiv". The descent, 720 metres (2,360 ft) in length, is constructed of laid cobblestones and connects Old Kyiv (Upper city) with Podil (Lower city). It starts at the end of Volodymyrska Street and winds down steeply around the Zamkova Hora hill, ending near the Kontraktova Square. The Andriyivskyy Descent is marked by a couple historic landmarks, including the Castle of Richard the Lionheart, the 18th century baroque Saint Andrew's Church, famed Russian writer Mikhail Bulgakov's house, and numerous other monuments. Recent talk of the descent's reconstruction has been going since 2006, when a local grassroots organization aimed at saving the Andriyivskyy Descent collected more than 1,000 signatures to petition local authorities to take action on the descent's reconstruction. On June 23, 2009, the Kyiv City Council administration approved the reconstruction of the Andriyivskyi Descent, which was officially announced a year earlier by Mayor Leonid Chernovetsky. The exact timeline for reconstruction has not yet been adopted, although the reconstruction's budget has been drafted in the city's 2010 budget.

      Time on site: an hour
    • Kiev Funicular

      The Kyiv Funicular (Ukrainian: Київський фунікулер) serves the city of Kyiv, connecting the historic Uppertown, and the lower commercial neighborhood of Podil through the steep Volodymyrska Hill overseeing the Dnieper River. The line consists of only two stations and is operated by the Kyiv city community enterprise Kyivpastrans.

      Time on site: 30 minutes
    • Kiev River Port

      The Kyiv River Port (Ukrainian: Київський річковий порт; translit. Kyivskyi richkovyi port) is the main river port of Kyiv, located on the right bank of the Dnieper River in the Podil neighborhood of the city. The port has own fleet that serves as a shipping company.

      Time on site: 2 hours
    • Maidan Nezalezhnosti

      Maidan Nezalezhnosti (Ukrainian: Майдан Незалежності [mɐjˈdɑn nezɐˈlɛʒnosʲtʲi], literally "Independence Square") is the central square of Kyiv, the capital city of Ukraine. One of the city's main squares, it is located on Khreshchatyk Street in the Shevchenko Raion. The square has been known under many different names, but often it is called simply Maidan ("square"). In the 19th century, the square contained buildings of the city council and noble assembly. Since the start of Ukraine's independence movement in 1990, the square has been the traditional place for political rallies, including four large-scale radical protest campaigns: the 1990 student "Revolution on Granite", the 2001 "Ukraine without Kuchma", the 2004 Orange Revolution, and the 2013–14 Euromaidan. Maidan is also a regular site for non-political displays and events, however since 2014 most of them were moved to Sofiyivska Square or elsewhere, because making entertainment on a place where people were killed during Euromaidan was considered inappropriate. Most notably, Christmas Fairs and New Year celebrations were moved to Sofiyivska Square.

      Time on site: an hour
    • Taras Shevchenko Park

      Kyiv University or Shevchenko University or officially the Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv (Ukrainian: Київський національний університет імені Тараса Шевченка), colloquially known in Ukrainian and Russian as KNU (Ukrainian: Київський національний універcитет - КНУ; Russian: Киевский национальный университет) is located in Kyiv, the capital of Ukraine. The university is universally recognized as the most prestigious university of Ukraine, being the largest national higher education institution. KNU is ranked within top 550 universities in the world. It is the third oldest university in Ukraine after the University of Lviv and University of Kharkiv. Currently, its structure consists of fifteen faculties (academic departments) and five institutes. It was founded in 1834 by the Russian Tsar Nikolai I as the Kiev Imperial University of Saint Vladimir, and since then it has changed its name several times. During the Soviet Union era, Kiev State University was one of the top-three universities in the USSR, along with Moscow State University and Leningrad State University. It is ranked as the best university in Ukraine in many rankings (see below). Throughout history, the university has produced many famous alumni including Nikolay Bunge, Mykhailo Drahomanov, Mykhailo Hrushevskyi, Nikolai Berdyaev, Mikhail Bulgakov, Ivan Schmalhausen, Theodosius Dobzhansky, Viacheslav Chornovil, Leonid Kravchuk, and many others. Taras Shevchenko himself, banned from educational activities for political reasons, worked for the Kyiv University as a field researcher.

      Time on site: an hour
    • Kiev Pechersk Lavra

      Kyiv Pechersk Lavra or Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra or Kyivo-Pechers’ka Lavra (Ukrainian: Києво-Печерська лавра, romanized: Kyievo-Pecherska lavra; Russian: Киeво-Печерская лавра, romanized: Kiyevo-Pecherskaya lavra), also known as the Kyiv Monastery of the Caves, is a historic Orthodox Christian monastery which gave its name to one of the city districts where it is located in Kyiv. Since its foundation as the cave monastery in 1051, the Lavra has been a preeminent center of Eastern Orthodox Christianity in Eastern Europe. Together with the Saint Sophia Cathedral, it is inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The monastery complex is considered a separate national historic-cultural preserve (sanctuary), the national status to which was granted on 13 March 1996. The Lavra is not only located in another part of the city, but is part of a different national sanctuary than Saint Sophia Cathedral. While being a cultural attraction, the monastery is once again active, with over 100 monks in residence. It was named one of the Seven Wonders of Ukraine on 21 August 2007, based on voting by experts and the internet community.Currently, the jurisdiction over the site is divided between the state museum, National Kyiv-Pechersk Historic-Cultural Preserve, and the Ukrainian Orthodox Church as the site of the chief monastery of that Church and the residence of its leader, Onufrius, Metropolitan of Kyiv and All Ukraine.

      Time on site: 2 hours
    • The Motherland Monument

      The Motherland Monument (Ukrainian: Батьківщина-Мати, romanized: Batkivshchýna-Máty, Russian: Родина-мать) is a monumental statue in Kyiv, the capital of Ukraine. The sculpture is a part of the National Museum of the History of Ukraine in the Second World War.

      Time on site: an hour
    • St.Volodymyr's Cathedral

      St Volodymyr's Cathedral (Ukrainian: Володимирський собор, Russian: Владимирский собор) is a cathedral in the centre of Kyiv. It is one of the city's major landmarks and the mother cathedral of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church – Kyiv Patriarchate, one of two major Ukrainian Orthodox Churches.

      Time on site: an hour
    • National Sports Complex “Olympiyskiy”

      House of Football (Ukrainian: Будинок футболу, Budynok futbolu) is a headquarters of the Football Federation of Ukraine located in Kyiv, Ukraine, right next to the Olympiyskiy National Sports Complex. The construction of the building started back on April 15, 2004. The construction was sponsored by the UEFA program "HatTrick". The opening ceremony of the House of Football on November 30, 2006 attended the former UEFA President Lennart Johansson, President of the Football Federation of Ukraine Hryhoriy Surkis as well as other important officials among which were Leonid Kuchma, Valeriy Pustovoitenko, Leonid Kravchuk, Michel Platini. The building has five floors, four conference halls, restaurant, its own television studio and mini publishing, as well as the museum of the Football History of Ukraine. Right across the street is located Bannikov Stadium, while in a close proximity there are the Light-Athletics Training Complex "Atlet", the Central Military Clinical Hospital of Ministry of Defense, Kyiv Fortress, the big factory "RADAR", the Kyiv city clinic hospital #17, the National University of Physical Education and Sports.

      Time on site: an hour
    • Khreschatyk Street

      Khreshchatyk (Ukrainian: Хрещатик, [xreˈʃt͡ʃɑtɪk]) is the main street of Kyiv, Ukraine. The street has a length of 1.2 kilometres (0.75 mi). It stretches from the European Square (northeast) through the Maidan and to Bessarabska Square (southwest) where the Besarabsky Market is located. Along the street are the offices of the Kyiv City Council which contains both the city's council and the state administration, the Main Post Office, the Ministry of Agrarian Policy, the State Committee of Television and Radio Broadcasting, the Central Department Store (TsUM), the Ukrainian House, and others. The entire street was completely destroyed during World War II by the retreating Red Army troops and rebuilt in the neo-classical style of post-war Stalinist architecture. Among prominent buildings that did not survive were the Kiev City Duma, the Kyiv Stock Exchange, Hotel Natsional, and the Ginzburg House. The street has been significantly renovated during the modern period of Ukraine's independence. Today, the street is still significant to administrative and business city organizations, as well as a popular tourist attraction. As of 2010, Khreshchatyk is included in the Top 20 of most expensive shopping streets in Europe.

      Time on site: an hour
    • Podil

      Time on site: 2 hours
    • Friendship of Nations Arch

      The Peoples' Friendship Arch (Ukrainian: Арка дружби народів, romanized: Arka druzhby narodiv) is a monument in Kyiv, the capital of Ukraine. It was opened together with the All-Union Lenin Museum (today, Ukrainian House) on November 7, 1982 to commemorate the 60th Anniversary of the USSR and the celebration of the 1,500th Anniversary of the Kyiv city. On 20 May 2016 the Ukrainian government announced plans to dismantle the arch as part of its decommunization laws. In its place is planned a memorial dedicated to veterans of the War in Donbass. Director of the Ukrainian Institute of National Remembrance Volodymyr Viatrovych stated in February 2018 that "a sculptural group" of the monument should be removed according to the decommunization laws.For the Eurovision Song Contest 2017, the arch was temporarily painted into a rainbow and renamed the Arch of Diversity; with the arch doubling as the symbol of the Kyiv Pride parade. At night, the arch illuminates as a rainbow as well. Three weeks later everything was turned back to normal.

      Time on site: 30 minutes
    • Kyiv in miniature

      Kyiv in Miniature (Ukrainian: Київ в мініатюрі) is a park of miniatures, situated in Kyiv in the area of Hydropark. There are exposed models of Kyiv architectural sightseeings, in the scale of 1:33. The park's area is 1.8 hectares (4.4 acres). It was opened on 23 June 2006, the closest metro station to it is Hydropark.

      Time on site: an hour
    • Trukhaniv Island

      Trukhaniv Island (Ukrainian: Труханів острів, translit.: Trukhaniv ostriv) is an island located on the Dnieper River opposite the historic Podil neighbourhood of the city of Kyiv.

      Time on site: 3 hours
    • M. M. Hryshko National Botanical Garden

      The M. M. Hryshko National Botanical Garden (Ukrainian: Національний ботанічний сад імені М.М. Гришка, Natsionalnyi botanichnyi sad im. M.M.Hryshka) is located in Kyiv, the capital of Ukraine. The M. M. Hryshko National Botanical Garden is a botanical garden of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. It is named after the Soviet botanist Mykola Hryshko who was born in Poltava. Founded in 1936, the garden covers 1.3 km² (120 hectares) and contains 13,000 types of trees, shrubs, flowers and other plants from all over the world. It has many coniferous trees and honey locusts, and flowers such as peonies, roses, magnolias, and bushes including lilacs. The garden has hothouses, conservatories, greenhouses and rosaries. It is the most popular amongst the residents, where one can see exotic plants, and attend flower exhibitions. The blooming lilacs at the end of spring are popular in the central garden. The Vydubychi Monastery and Trinity Monastery of St. Jonas are located on the grounds of the botanical gardens. The territory of the garden is divided into floristic complexes, such as Ukrainian Carpathians, Plains of Ukraine, Crimea, Caucasus, Central Asia, Altai and Western Siberia, Far East. In every zone plants typical for particular region can be found. Geography and landscape of each territory were recreated as well. Also the garden has large collection of unique and rare tropical and subtropical plants that are represented in the greenhouse. The Botanical garden can impress with more than 350 species of orchids.

      Time on site: 2 hours

    • Ukrainian National Chornobyl Museum

      The Ukrainian National Chernobyl Museum (Ukrainian: Український національний музей "Чорнобиль", Ukrayins'kyy natsional'nyy muzey "Chornobyl'") is a history museum in Kyiv, Ukraine, dedicated to the 1986 Chernobyl disaster and its consequences. It houses an extensive collection of visual media, artifacts, scale models, and other representational items designed to educate the public about many aspects of the disaster. Several exhibits depict the technical progression of the accident, and there are also many areas dedicated to the loss of life and cultural ramifications of the disaster. Due to the nature of the subject material, the museum provides a very visually engaging experience. The museum occupies an early 20th-century building which formerly housed a fire brigade and was donated in 1992 by the State Fire Protection Guard.

      Time on site: 2 hours